Sunday, April 11, 2010

A long run


Did you know how much the way you breathe can influence your heart-rate? Inhaling through the nose and exhaling out of my mouth decreased mine by 10. Amazing, I think. So, I took an extra effort to stick with a controlled breathing while running my long run. Yesterday. I know, I skipped one day. Can happen sometimes, can't it? So, I ran and the wind was against me. Literally. Very strong. But I did breathe stubbornly and it helped. Kept me focused. At the end a ran 7.4 miles in 1:40 hour. Still very slow but I felt I'm getting better in running longer distances. One can always hope, right??? Those long runs are a little bit like a meditation. Make you think about all kind of stuff: buy ice cream, call the guy at the bank, should stop by at the pharmacy, why was the girl at the gas station that unfriendly, can't wait to go on vacation next week, want to have a dinner party with friends, I have to pass that walker in front of me, aargh - how frustrating, can't wait to have coffee at home, shouldn't forget breathing, inhale through the nose, exhale out of my mouth...

No comments:

Post a Comment